Trying New Beauty Treatments at The Vein Clinic Costa Mesa
Written By: Aimee Engebretson The Vein Clinic
Photographed By: Areli Gonzalez
The grand opening of the new Vein Clinic CA & Medspa in Costa Mesa, which was sponsored by Locale Magazine, welcomed more than 200 guests who witnessed the latest in non-surgical beauty treatments as well as state-of-the-art vein removal procedures.
Owner Andy Sharifi said that one can look younger and more beautiful by employing the latest in laser treatments, fat removal and hydrafacials, but if you are cursed with hideous varicose or spider veins, then the body overhaul is really (excuse the pun) in vein. An estimated 40% of women and 25% of men from all ages, ethnic backgrounds and genetic make-up suffer from unsightly veins and it was his family’s dealing with them that inspired the new business. He also operates a location in Santa Ana focusing only on vein removal, but plans to open many more full-service clinics in the coming months.
Men and women of all ages and backgrounds attended the grand opening, which benefited the nonprofit Working Wardrobes. The one thing they all shared in common, said Sharifi, is a desire to turn back the hands of time and learn about the latest in nonsurgical intervention.
“My family’s own plight with varicose and spider veins led me to open my first clinic in Santa Ana, which still operates today, ” said Sharifi. “When we opened our Costa Mesa clinic, we decided to broaden our scope of services. Our very own board-certified dermatologist Stephen Goldstein, M.D., oversees the luxury facility that offers the latest technology and medical advances in vein removal and nonsurgical cosmetic enhancement procedures.”
Whether for medical necessity or purely cosmetic reasons, a growing number of people are seeking immediate relief for unsightly varicose and spider veins caused by pregnancy, weight gain and even simple family genes. Treatments include Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy and Endovenous Laser Treatment for large varicose veins; foam sclerotherapy for medium to large varicose veins and sclerotherapy, a virtually painless treatment that involves injecting a solution through a micro-needle into the protruding thread veins, causing them to gradually fade.
Among the new clinic’s medspa services are lasers to treat stretch marks, acne and acne scars, brown spots (also known as “age spots”), Rosacea and fine lines and wrinkles. For those who want to reduce their waistlines in time for spring, CoolSculpt is a non-invasive fat reduction procedure that literally “freezes the fat” which is then naturally expelled by the body.
10 Things You Learn During Your First Hydrafacial MD® Treatment:
- Hydrafacials are non-invasive, meaning that no skin is punctured and you can come in for the treatment and walk away with no side effects.
- Skin damage occurs from a variety of factors ranging from sun to pollution, which eventually leads to a decline in elasticity.
- This procedure can be done on almost any part of your body but most patients choose their hands, neck, or face to target problem areas.
- Hydrafacials are done with animal cruelty-free ingredients, and are similar to getting a back massage in the way that they detox clients.
- Treatments take about 30 minutes and estheticians Shannon and Alisa recommend doing it about once a month.
- Problematic skin such as dark spots can be treated with Hydrafacials, as well as using it to prevent future skin issues.
- These facials work on every type of skin and don’t hurt at all. It simply feels like a tiny vacuum is lightly tugging on your skin.
- The Hydrafacial begins with Vortex Exfoliation to remove dead skin cells, then uses acids to peel. Pores are cleaned out during the extraction. During the treatment, your skin is exfoliated and then resurfaced, leaving you with a healthy glow. Facials finish with a peptide serum that nourishes your skin and leaves it baby-soft.
- Many brides love using Hydrafacials as a way to polish their skin before the big day. The average bride will come in for treatment once a week for 12 weeks leading up to the wedding day to get that healthy glow we all crave.
- Hydrafacials can turn into a “healthy addiction” because patients see results that last for days or even weeks immediately after their treatment.
All answers provided by board-certified dermatologist Stephen Goldstein, M.D., Medical Director of Vein Clinic CA.
Why do varicose veins afflict some of us and not others?
Varicose veins occur primarily from a genetic defect in the valve structure of the leg veins.
The valves do not properly shut and as a result, blood flows backwards down the vein instead of up to the heart. Picture a long, thin balloon. When air pressure is raised, the balloon grows bigger. A similar phenomenon occurs to create varicose veins.
Is there a connection between a person’s profession and the likelihood of developing varicose veins?
Yes, especially if you have a genetic predisposition for varicose veins, then jobs that require standing for long periods of time can set the stage for problems.
How are varicose veins typically removed? What procedures are already out there?
The old procedure of vein stripping involves making an incision at the groin or leg, inserting a special wire into the vein and then pulling out the vein from the body – which is the procedure favored by most vascular and general surgeons. The state-of-the-art procedures that are more effective and easier on patients involve lasers and ultrasound devices that are very expensive — too cost prohibitive for most surgeons unless they are committed to specialize in treating varicose veins like we do at Vein Clinic of California.
How fast is this new procedure? Can you truly recover within the hour or do some patients need more time?
The newer procedure of Endovenous Ablation, which involves directing heat through a catheter which closes up the targeted veins yet leaves them intact. The procedure takes only 30-45 minutes and the recovery is immediate with only minimal discomfort.
Who is the ideal patient for this treatment?
The ideal patient is anyone with varicose veins but of course there are conditions such as morbid obesity or severe heart or lung disease that would not be appropriate.
What treatments do you suspect celebs like Britney Spears, Emma Thompson and Kristin Davis have undergone to eliminate their varicose veins?
It is too difficult to determine which procedure they may have undergone, but since their status and celebrity affords them access to the finest care available, I would guess that it would have been a laser or ultrasound procedure.
What about the costs for these treatments? Is it affordable?
Most, if not all PPO insurance, will cover the costs of this treatment.
What alternative treatments can we try that can fade or conceal our varicose veins?
There are no medications, exercises or alternatives that will conceal the veins.
You could try wearing compression hosiery, but these are only effective while they are being worn.
What can we do health wise to try and prevent these veins? Any exercise or footwear that can help?
While exercising and sustaining a healthy lifestyle are important for one’s overall health, there aren’t truly any steps you can take to prevent varicose veins from occurring.
Any additional tips and tricks?
If you are concerned with varicose veins, then a free consultation at our offices can give you the best treatment plan. Call 1-800-VEIN-DOC to schedule an appointment. Vein Clinic & Rejuvecenter in Costa Mesa is located at 1712 Newport Blvd. For more information visit VeinClinicCA.com
Time to get that healthy glow back.