Written By: Elie Ayrouth for www.foodbeast.com Beefy, Cheesy Breakfast Pockets Are The Perfect Breakfast On-The-Go
Setting out to reinvent classic breakfasts, celebrated Instagram bro-chef Josh Scherer, aka Mr. Culinary Brodown, set out to class-up the pop tart we all know and love.
Imagine a flaky puff pastry filled to the brim with Ground Beef, onions, mushrooms, eggs and cheese. Then imagine eating this pop tart-esque treat in the car on your morning commute and you’ll have Josh’s incredibly delicious and easy recipe, the Beefy, Cheesy Breakfast Pocket:
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
1 lb. Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
1 tbsp oil
½ minced white onion
3/4 cup sliced button mushrooms
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
4 large eggs
1 box (2 sheets) store-bought puff pastry
1 cup shredded, reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
– Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick saucepan on medium-high heat, then add minced onions, mushrooms, and Ground Beef. Sauté for 15 minutes, or until beef and veggies are cooked through then add sage, paprika, salt and pepper.
– Reserve beef and veggie mixture in a bowl and set aside. Whisk together your eggs, season with salt and pepper, then scramble over medium heat in a nonstick pan. Set aside.
– Heat your oven to 400°.
– Roll out the store bought puff pastry on a large cutting board dusted with flour. Cut out 8 separate 4-inch by 6-inch squares of dough.
– Lay down ¼ cup of shredded cheese into 4 dough squares then evenly distribute your scrambled eggs and beef mixture on top. Lay a second sheet of dough on top of each half-formed tart, then use a fork dipped in water to seal all the edges.
– When the tarts are sealed, cut three slits in the top of the dough so steam can escape, then carefully place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
– Allow the tarts to cool, then wrap in plastic wrap and put in the freezer. Microwave for 60-90 seconds to reheat in the morning.
Recipes created in partnership with Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. Funded by the Beef Checkoff.