Written By: Molly shannon for www.foodbeast.com Here’s How To Make A Mexican Beer Waffle Topped With Marinated Carne Asada
When it comes to waffles, syrup and fruit toppings are just no longer cutting it. Why not try beefing them up a bit with, well, beef?
Thanks to Culinary Brodown, we now have a formula for the perfect Carne Asada Waffle. This beautiful creation is made with marinated flank steak, Serrano chile, lime juice, garlic and spices, all atop a zesty Mexican Beer Waffle! Beer for breakfast, baby! You’ll never look at an Eggo the same way.
Make sure not to sleep on our other beefy, breakfast recipes in our series including this recipe for Chimichurri Green Eggs & Steak, and these Breakfast Pockets filled to the brim with ground beef, onions mushrooms, eggs and cheese.
Carne Asada Waffle
Total Recipe Time: 45 Minutes
1 lb Flank Steak
2 cloves minced garlic
1 minced small Serrano chile
1 tbsp lime juice
4 oz Mexican beer
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1) Combine all ingredients in a large plastic storage bag, squeeze all the air out, seal, and massage the ingredients together. Let sit in the fridge for at least 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
2) Heat a large cast iron skillet on high until it starts to smoke—or use a charcoal grill if you have one—and sear the Flank Steak for 3 minutes each side without overcrowding the pan. You want good caramelization on the outside without the meat being totally well done.
3) Remove the steak, let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes then cut into cubes and reserve.
Mexican Beer Waffle
16 oz Mexican Beer of choice
2 cups flour
3 tsp salt
powder1 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp melted butter
1) Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and whisk to combine.
2) Whisk all wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl then slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until there are no more lumps.
3) Heat a waffle maker on high with a small amount of butter or oil, then pour in the batter and cook until golden brown.
Assembling the Carne Waffle
1 can fat free refried beans, heated
2 large sliced avocados
Pico de gallo
Reduced fat sour cream or fat free Greek yogurt
Mexican hot sauce
Lay down one waffle on a plate, smear with heated refried beans, and top with a 3 oz Carne Asada. Garnish with any combination of avocado, pico de gallo, sour cream or yogurt, radishes, cotija cheese, and hot sauce.
Recipes created in partnership with Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. Funded by the Beef Checkoff.